Our mission is to empower families with the skills to stretch their food budgets and cook healthy meals so their children get nutritious food at home.
Serves: 6, 1/2 cup per serving
- 2 large ripe mangoes
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 medium green onions
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper
- 2 medium limes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 medium bell pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
Download our free, healthy recipe app and access 90+ delicious dishes!
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Cooking Matters partners with nonprofits, community groups, and public organizations across in the Metro Atlanta area to provide Cooking Matters courses to low-income families in venues that are convenient to your organization.
Open Hand invested in a private-public partnership with Wayfield Foods, Inc. and the USDA to launch a Healthy Retail marketing campaign titled “Are you Hungry for Healthy”.
We offer six-week Cooking Matters courses to adults, kids, and families. Open Hand staff/ Registered Dietitians or volunteers teach each course. The courses cover meal preparation, grocery shopping, food budgeting and nutrition.
This material was funded by USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program- SNAP-Ed.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.
1. Rinse mangoes, cucumber, green onions, jalapeño pepper, limes, and bell pepper, if using.
2. Peel mangoes. Cut mango flesh from the pits.
3. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. If using bell pepper, cut in half lengthwise. Remove stems and seeds.
4. Dice mangoes, cucumber, and bell pepper, if using. Finely chop green onions.
5. Cut jalapeño pepper in half lengthwise. Remove stems and seeds and dice.
6. If using, rinse and chop cilantro.
7. Cut limes in half. Squeeze juice from each half into a medium bowl. Discard seeds.
8. Add mangoes, cucumber, green onions, jalapeño, salt, and cayenne pepper to bowl with juice. If using, add bell pepper and cilantro. Mix well.
9. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
Georgia Communities are "Hungry for Healthy"